Easy Apple Krisp
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (use certified gluten-free oats if making this recipe GF)
- 1/2 cup almond meal*
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or coconut oil, if making this recipe vegan)
- 4 apples, cored and diced (about 5-6 cups)
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add oats, almond meal, nuts, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt to a mixing bowl, and toss until combined. Add maple syrup and melted butter (or coconut oil), then toss until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and toss until combined. Spread the apple mixture evenly into a greased 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch pan, then sprinkle the oat mixture evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the topping is crisp and golden and the apples are soft and cooked through. Serve immediately. (I served mine with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.)
- Or let the apple crisp cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
*If you can't find almond meal at the store, you can pulse almonds in a food processor until fine to make almond meal. OR, you can substitute in white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour) in place of the almond meal.